Because sometimes, you just need comfort food in your life..
This tangy, vegan tomato soup gets its rich and creamy texture from puréed vegetables. It’s perfect as an appetizer or a meal on its own. And you most likely have everything you need on hand right now.
Tomato soup has always been amongst the top 3 soups for me (the others being sour cucumber soup – it’s a Polish thing, don’t ask – and the good ol’ potato and leek). When I was little, my mom used to make THE BEST tomato soup everrr so this is a recipe that has been a long time in the making. I tried using fresh tomatoes, but it was double the time as you have to peel them and the flavour just wasn’t close enough. I ended up using tinned tomatoes and tomato puree as I like it super rich and tangy. If you don’t want it to be too sour, you can always add less tomato puree or add a little sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
I love to serve it with some croutons, rice or pasta.
Classic Tomato Soup
- ½ onion
- ½ leek
- 1 carrot
- ½ swede
- 1-2 potato
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 can (400g) canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 stock cube
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful fresh basil
- Chop up the tomatoes, carrots, onion, swede and potatoes. Place in a medium pot together with a stock cube, add in 1.5l of water and simmer for around 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a food processor in batches and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato pure and chilli flakes, and let it simmer for further 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, taste and check the seasoning, then serve.
Leave a Reply