Golden Milk, also known as Turmeric Tea, Turmeric Latte or Golden Latte, is a lightly spiced warm beverage packed with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. If you haven’t gathered already, the star of todays show is turmeric – the source of its signature golden hue.
The chief active component of turmeric is curcumin, a powerful ingredient which may benefit those with inflammatory bowel disease (IBS), offer protection against certain cancers, treat arthritis, reduce blood sugar levels as well as ease depression symptoms.
Because curcumin is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream, it is recommended to consume black pepper with it (hence why we will use it in this recipe). The pepper and ginger in this recipe add a little spicy kick, while a touch of maple syrup and cinnamon adds just the right amount of sweetness.
Key benefits of golden milk:
- Improved immunity
- Soothes a sore throat and cough
- Treat indigestion
- Detoxify the liver
- Contains potent antioxidants
There isn’t really much to this recipe, you simply blend your spices and sweetener of choice (I chose maple syrup but honey, golden syrup or agave nectar would also work here) with your favourite non-dairy milk (using a mix of canned coconut milk and soya milk creates the perfect creamy base), gently heat and pour into your favourite mug!
Tip: Adding a splash of vanilla extract takes this recipe to the next level!
Anti-inflammatory golden milk (vegan)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup canned coconut cream
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch freshly ground peppercorns
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and blend until smooth.
- Simmer over a low heat for 5-10 minutes whisking frequently.
- Turn off heat and taste to adjust flavour and serve immediately.