Making your own creamy, fluffy, delicious vegan cream cheese is super easy and requires very little ingredients. Perfect spread over bagels or crackers, this vegan garlic and herb cream cheese is a complete game-changer.
The key ingredient in this recipe is nutritional yeast. This is what will give your cream cheese that really cheesy flavour.
Soaking the cashews in hot water is also really important. This will soften the nuts making them a lot easier to blend and will give your soft cheese that really creamy consistency. Be patient when blending! If you don’t have a high-powered blending device, it can sometimes take a while for the mixture to go smooth (mine took a few minutes!). You may need to blend and scrape the sides and repeat a few times. Remember: the longer you leave the cashews to soak, the softer and easier to blend they will become.
Vegan Garlic and Herb Cream Cheese
- 200 g cashew nuts, soaked in hot water for 2 hours
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 tbsp plant milk
- Soak the cashews in hot water for at least two hours.
- Drain and rinse the cashews, then place them in a food processor together with nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder and 2 teaspoons of plant milk.
- Blend until smooth, then stir in the chives and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in the refrigerator.