This recipe for apricot and custard rolls is made with a slightly sweet yeast dough and yummy apricots. It’s a straight-forward recipe and the results are unforgettable! These little buns are perfect for any snack or breakfast and they are sooo good with a cuppa!
Best thing about this recipe? Super flexible. If you don’t have or don’t want to use apricots, don’t worry! These little buns will work with almost any fruit. Try strawberries, blueberries or raspberries.
Apricot & Custard Sweet Yeasty Buns
For the dough
- 500 g plain flour
- 50 g golden caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 250 ml plant milk
- 30 g fresh yeast
- 70 g vegan margarine, melted
For the filling
- 5 apricots
- 200 ml thick vegan custard
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
To make the dough
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and salt and mix.
- Heat the milk until lukewarm. Add the fresh yeast and stir until dissolved.
- Add the yeast mixture into the flour together with melted margarine. Using a wooden spoon, mix to form a dough, then knead for about 5 minutes. The dough will be quite sticky. You can add a little flour to help, but try not to add more than 1/4 cup – stickier dough means lighter, airier buns.
- Place the dough back in the bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled in size.
To make the apricot filling
- Wash, dry and finely chop the apricots. Sprinkle with the sugar, stir and set aside.
- Prepare the custard according to instructions. If you're using ready made custard, skip this step.
- Once risen, divide the dough into six equal pieces.
- Roll out a piece of dough on a lightly floured surface to form an oval approximately 2mm thick.
- Evenly spread a little custard over the top, then add the chopped apricots.
- Starting at one of the long edges, carefully roll the dough then, using a sharp knife, cut the dough lengthwise.
- Cross the two halves over each other to form a braid, then form into a bun.
- Transfer onto a parchment-lined tray. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Let the buns rise for 10-15 minutes. Brush with apricot jam and bake in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
Leave a Reply