A great vegan alternative to the classic spag bol. Let’s be honest.. nothing says comfort like a big bowl of spaghetti Bolognese, and this one is pretty special – it’s easy to make, it’s tasty, filling and 100% vegan!
Easy Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
- 390 g chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 aubergine, chopped into small chunks
- 175 g soya mince or a can of cooked lentils
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp basil
- 2 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a little olive oil in a large pan and fry the chopped onion over a fairly high heat until soft, for around 5 minutes. Add the garlic and soya mince and fry until they both brown. Add the red pepper and courgette and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan. If your tomatoes are quite chunky, try to break them up with a wooden spoon. Add in the tomato puree to thicken the sauce together with some oregano, basil and a pinch of salt and simmer for around 25-30 minutes.
- When the sauce is nearly finished, cook the spaghetti pasta following instructions on the pack. Once cooked, drain and arrange on a plate. Add a good spoonful of the Bolognese sauce on top and garnish with fresh herbs. Enjoy!