Vegan chocolate donuts…A chocolate lover’s dream…These undetectably vegan, sweet and fluffy baked chocolate donuts make such an indulgent breakfast treat and they are really easy to make! If you want these to be gluten free just substitute the plain flour for gluten-free flour. Dipped in chocolate glaze and showered with sprinkles, these baked donuts really are perfection.
If you try this vegan donut recipe, let me know how it goes by tagging your photo #letseatsmart on Instagram!
Vegan baked chocolate donuts
- 30 ml chickpea water
- 60 ml soya milk
- 30 g coconut oil
- 25 g cane sugar
- 30 ml agave syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 40 g apple sauce
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 40 g cocoa powder
- 75 g almond flour
- 90 g plain flour
- Preheat your oven to 190C and lightly grease a donut pans.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the chickpea water to soft peaks (a sprinkle of cream of tartar helps them firm up but is not necessary). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Stir in the applesauce and lukewarm almond milk and mix until combined. Add the baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, almond and plain flour and whisk to combine.
- Add the whipped chickpea water and fold in gently. If the batter appears too thin, just add a little more flour to thicken it up.
- Pour the batter into a piping bag and cut off the bottom corner. Pipe the batter into the prepared tin and bake for around 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the doughnuts are cooling, make the glaze by combining the melted dark chocolate chips, coconut oil and agave syrup until the glaze is smooth. Once the doughnuts are cooled, dip the top in the glaze and sprinkle with sprinkles.