It is so difficult to buy oatcakes that are gluten and palm oil free so I have decided to make my own. This healthy oatcake recipe uses no flour (and thus is gluten-free) and is super versatile.
For a plain oatcake, just omit all the herbs and spices and, if you’re feeling adventurous, why not throw in some extra seeds such as poppyseed, pumpkin or even sesame seeds to add extra crunch!
This delicious savoury biscuit can be enjoyed as a light snack or perfect to eat with cream cheese, jam or even soup.
Garlic & Herb Vegan Oat Cakes
- 250 g plain oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 60 g vegan margarine
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 70 ml hot water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dill
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C | Gas Mark 5.
- Place the oats, soda, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, dill and chilli flakes in a food processor and blitz for 2 seconds.
- Add in the sunflower seeds and butter and rub together until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the hot water and combine to form a dough.
- Sprinkle some flour on a work surface and roll out the dough. Using a cookie cutter or a glass, cut out shapes and place the oatcakes on a baking tray. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown.