Crumbly, coconut biscuit base, salty smooth peanut butter filling topped with silky-smooth, crispy chocolate… These little vegan, gluten-free chocolatey treats are so moreish and they taste great paired with an afternoon cup of tea.
If you want to make these gorgeous little treats higher in protein, simply mix your favourite protein powder with the peanut butter until dissolved. I used 2 scoops of my favourite Herbalife Nutrition Coffee Caramel Tri-Blend, but this, of course, is optional.
You know the drill. If you make these lush peanut butter slice bars, be sure to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram or Facebook! I love seeing what you lovelies are cooking up!
Gluten-free Peanut Butter Slice
For the base
- 60 ml coconut oil, melted
- 100 g coconut flour
- 50 ml maple syrup
For the filling
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 scoops protein powder (optional)
For the chocolate layer
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
To make the biscuit base
- Preheat the oven to 180C | Gas mark 4. Line a small baking tray with baking parchment and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Place the dough in the tin, pressing with the back of a spoon to form a smooth level base.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes or until golden. The dough will be very crumbly and fragile when it comes out. Let it cool completely before removing from the tin.
To make the filling
- In a bowl, simply combine the peanut butter, salt and protein powder (if using). You may want to microwave the peanut butter for 30-50 seconds first to make it easier to mix.
- Once combined, pour the mixture over the cool biscuit base. Place in the freezer for around 15 minutes to set.
- Place chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each until melted. Stir in the coconut oil.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the top of the set peanut butter layer. Return to the freezer for at least 10 minutes. Once set, cut into squares and store in the fridge.