Dominostein (a sweet primarily sold during Christmas season in Germany) traditionally consists of three layers: Lebkuchen, jelly and marzipan. This is my ‘cheat’, chocolate no-bake version, using store-bought gingerbread cookies for the base layer and chocolate orange layer instead of the jelly – a true chocoholic’s dream!
For this recipe, you will need a silicone ice cube mould. The mould I used is quite a large one, the cubes are approximately 1 inch and this recipe made 6. If you use a smaller mould, you are likely to end up with 6-8 bite-size pieces.
These vegan chocolate orange treats were a big hit in my house! I only managed to get my hands on ONE (yes, just one!), they were gone FASTTTT!
No-bake Chocolate Orange Dominosteine
- Silicone ice cube mould
- 60 g gingerbread cookies
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 65 g dark chocolate of choice (I used one with almond pieces in for extra crunch)
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 60 g marzipan
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Break up and place the gingerbread cookies into a food processor and process until the cookies for fine crumbs. Stir in the melted coconut oil.
- Press the gingerbread mixture into the bottom of a square silicone ice cube tray or mould. Set aside.
- Break up and place the orange chocolate chunks into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds then take the bowl out and give it a stir. Place the bowl back in the microwave and repeat the process until melted. Stir in the orange extract and butter.
- Pour the chocolate over the gingerbread mixture making sure it is evenly distributed between the 6 squares. Place in the freezer for an hour to set.
- Roll out the marzipan to a thickness of approx 5mm and cut out 6 even squares. Take the mould out of the freezer and place the marzipan on top of the now frozen chocolate layer. Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes to allow the marzipan to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate coating. Place the chocolate and coconut oil into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted.
- Gently remove each cube out of the mould and using a fork dunk into the melted chocolate to cover. Place on a cooling rack and leave to set.