These vegan caramel-filled double chocolate cookies couldn’t be any better. They are soft and chewy, they are perfectly sweet and just soooo delicious and completely irresistible! You will LOVE them.
Flavoured with golden caster sugar and chunky chocolate and almond pieces, these vegan cookies were gone in no time! If you haven’t got any almonds, try using other nuts. Pecans and peanuts work really well too! And for best success, don’t skip the chilling step.
Salty date caramel
For this recipe to work, you will need to use frozen chunks of caramel. You can use any caramel you like, but I like to make my own, out of dates. Why? Because it is super easy – it literally takes minutes – and super tasty. If you are making your own (as per my recipe below), try making it the night before in order to give it enough time to freeze (it will take 5-8 hours).
PS! Double the date caramel ingredients and store the rest of your leftover caramel in the fridge for up to 5 days. It tastes heavenly drizzled over porridge or ice cream!
These caramel-stuffed vegan chocolate cookies are:
- soft and chewy in the middle
- crisp on the edges
- stuffed with runny salted date caramel
- filled with chocolate chunks and crunchy almond pieces
- perfectly sweet
Vegan Caramel Filled Cookies
For the caramel:
- 100 g pitted dates
- 70 ml plant milk
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp smooth peanut or almond butter
For the cookies:
- 140 g golden caster sugar
- 40 g chopped almonds
- 110 g dark chocolate chunks
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 200 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 20 g cocoa powder
- 60 g vegan butter, melted
- 70 g nut butter of choice
- 100 g golden syrup
- 3 tbsp water
- Make the caramel the night before (you will need to freeze it). Place all of the ingredients in a blender and whizz until smooth. Taste and add more salt if required. Spoon the caramel into a silicone ice cube tray. You should end up with 8 portions. Place in the freezer for 8 hours or until solid.
- Preheat the oven to 180C | gas mark 4. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the golden caster sugar, almond pieces, chocolate chunks and salt. Sieve in the cocoa powder, flour and soda.
- In a separate bowl, combine the nut butter, butter and golden syrup. Once combined, add it to the flour mixture. Mix using a wooden spoon and bring the dough together using your hands.
- Divide the dough into 8 golf sized balls and flatten into a disc shape. Pop the frozen caramel out of the mould and place in the middle of each one. Wrap the cookie dough around the caramel making sure it is fully covered. Place on the baking tray and repeat until you have used up all the dough.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 8-14 minutes. The edges of the cookies should feel firm but the centre will be still quite soft. Leave to cool for 15 minutes.