Did you ever think a cake could taste soooo good you would eat five slices? Well, that’s exactly what’s happening here. A light and moist vegan lemon drizzle cake topped with tangy lemony icing. This could be all yours in just 8 basic ingredients and 45 minutes. Yaaaas let’s do this!
What I love about this cake is how easy it is to make. It’s super simple with no fancy ingredients, and it is really easy to mix up by hand. And it tastes amazing, I promise!
Vegan lemon drizzle cake
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 260 g self raising flour
- 180 g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zested
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 160 ml cold water
For the icing:
- 150 g icing sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6 and line a standard, 1lb loaf tin with baking parchment. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the self raising flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Add the oil, lemon juice and 160ml of cold water, and mix until smooth.
- Once combined, pour the entire mixture into the lined tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once baked, let it cool in the tin for around 10 mins, before removing and transferring onto a wire rack. Let it cool completely.
For the icing
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and mix in just enough lemon juice to make an icing thick enough to pour over the cake. Make sure the icing is not too thin, as it will just run off the cake.