Hi friends. Might I serve you up a slice of my latest vegan, spinach and sweet potato pie?
You all know I don’t kid around when it comes to pies. Light, crispy and crumbly filo pastry surrounds this delicious medley of healthy vegetables and chickpeas in this tasty vegan pie.
This easy recipe requires just 15 ingredients and simple methods to make.
The pie base is a simple mixture of vegetables and chickpeas, simmered with coconut milk and a blend of flavourful spices. If you have any meatless-meal skeptics in your life, this filo pie will change their mind. I’m sure of it.
This flavourful, nutrient-dense and veggie-packed pie might not be the quickest weeknight option around, but it is a reasonably simple recipe that will satisfy all your comfort food cravings. TRUST ME.
The best thing about this recipe is that you can easily adjust the veggies to suit the seasons or your pantry. I’ve opted in for sweet potatoes and spinach but broccoli, carrots or butternut squash will work just as well. Enjoy!
Vegan spinach filo pie
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- pinch of salt
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 400 g tinned chickpeas
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 400 g chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 can creamed coconut/canned coconut milk
- 100 g fresh spinach
- 8-10 sheets filo pastry
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes. Place in a large saucepan, add cold water to cover and season generously with salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until potatoes are fork tender.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy based pan. Finely chop the onion and garlic and cook in the pan until softened.
- Drain and tip the sweet potatoes, chickpeas and spices into the pan and stir well. Cook for a 3-5 minutes then stir in the tomatoes, stock and coconut milk. Bring the mixture to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Stir the spinach leaves into the mixture and cook for further 10-15 minutes. If there is excess liquid, simmer for a little longer. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4 and brush a large ovenproof frying pan with oil. Alternatively use a loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Brush around 5 of the filo pastry sheets with oil and layer them in the pan/tin so that the whole thing is covered evenly, with the sides hanging over.
- Spoon in the spinach and sweet potato mixture and spread out over the base. Fold in the overhanging filo to form a lid. Scrunch up the remaining sheets and arrange on top to cover the top of the pie. Brush with a little oil and bake in the centre of the oven for 35-40minutes or until the filo is golden and crisp.
How many does it serve?
Hi Andrew, this pie will serve 4.