My best friend’s mom makes the best brownies. I remember trying them for the first time thinking “Oh my goodness, these can’t be real!”. Slightly crunchy outer crust, rich chocolatey flavour, the inside dense and fudgy. They are just so perfect.
Since switching to a vegan diet, I’ve been on a mission to re-create her gooey, rich, chocolatey brownies, and it almost stumped me. My first attempt lacked depth of chocolate flavour. My second & third attempts came closer, but the texture wasn’t quite right. Fourth attempt? Ta da! Total winner!
I don’t dare make claims like this very often, but this is the very best vegan brownie recipe ever! They taste delicious on the day they’re made and even better the next day!
Let’s bake, friends!
Fudgy vegan brownies
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 5 tbsp water
- 110 g melted vegan buttery spread
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 70 g cocoa powder
- 110 g plain flour
- 70 g melted, good quality dark chocolate (90% cocoa)
- To make the flax eggs, mix the ground flaxseed with 5 tablespoons of water and set aside for around 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the caster sugar, melted vegan spread, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder, then stir in the flax eggs.
- Once combined, fold in the flour, then add in melted dark chocolate and mix until combined.
- Heat the oven to 170°C. Grease a 6 inch tin and line with baking paper. Transfer the mixture into the tin and level the top with a spatula and bake for around 15-20 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares. These brownies taste delicious on the day they’re made and even better the next day!