Today I’m going to share with you my absolute favourite avocado and pomegranate salad recipe. It is packed with antioxidants and makes a delicious appetiser. It’s fresh, it’s bright and it is loaded with buttery avocado (and who doesn’t like avocados?!).
To be completely honest, I have a love/hate relationship with pomegranate. Don’t get me wrong, they taste amazing buttttt getting those delicious seeds out is always a challenge. The juice gets absolutely everywhere, and those annoying thin membranes… and yes, I know there are lots of tricks to getting them out easily (like tapping the pomegranate with a wooden spoon, placing it in a bowl of water etc.) and it really isn’t that hard, but I am lazy okay…
Let’s move on to the orange and lime dressing. Usually salad dressings are loaded with empty calories through some sort of processed oils and too much sodium. Well, you will be happy to hear that this deliciously citrusy orange and lime dressing not only adds a bit of zing to this beautiful salad – it is also completely raw, oil and salt free. Do I need to say more? This avocado and pomegranate salad really is a winner.
Guys, this is the salad of my dreams.
Avocado and pomegranate salad
- 1/2 pomegranate
- 2 handfuls bistro salad
- 1/2 hass avocado
- 1 handful blueberries
- 4 cherry tomatoes
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- black pepper, to taste
- To make the dressing, mix the finely chopped shallot, orange and lime juice together and season with freshly ground pepper. Set aside.
- Halve the pomegranate lengthwise and seed one of the halves. Quarter the tomatoes.
- Mix the salad leaves, tomatoes and pomegranate seeds with the orange and lime dressing.
- To make the avocado rose/flower, firstly halve the avocado and remove pit. Peel off the skin, lay one half of the avocado, cut side down, and slice thinly. Then, fan out the slices so that they form a long line with the slices overlapping each other. Curl the avocado slices toward the centre to form a little ‘rose’.
- Place the avocado rose on top of the salad, scatter over the blueberries and serve immediately.