Ho, ho, ho. Happy December guys (2017 is practically gone, and that scares me)! Despite the arctic blast, December is probably my favourite month (besides my birthday, obvs). Why? Because it’s that time of the year again.. It’s time for all things gingerbread.
I love gingerbread. It is one of the most quintessential flavours of Christmas. Each year I make little chocolate covered, jam-filled, soft, chewy gingerbread hearts. But as I am yet to master the vegan-friendly version of the classic apricot jam filled Lebkuchen, I’ve decided that this year we will switch things up a little. I’ve decided to do something slightly different. Thin & crunchy gingerbread men biscuits. Vegan edition.
I honestly half expected this to be a right mess since the dough is vegan and I’ve never made these before. I’d like to think I’m not really a negative person, but I have to admit I do often expect the worst in order to protect myself from less than ideal outcomes. I am terrible at following instructions (and I have a recipe blog, how ironic, huh?) so I’ll usually read a couple of recipes, throw some things together, substitute some, add some extras and hope for the best. I was pleasantly surprised and so so pleased that it only took one try to get these bad boys right!! Experimentation success.
Oh, can I just say that these vegan gingerbread biscuits would make the perfect Christmas gifts. I mean, who doesn’t love the gift of food?!
1-bowl vegan gingerbread men
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- Heat the soya milk in a microwave until lukewarm – this is to help the sugar dissolve. Then, mix all your wet ingredients before adding in all the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Scoop all of the dough out onto some cling film and place in the freezer for a couple of hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 170C (gas mark 4).
- Take the dough out of the freezer. If it feels really hard, it may need a few minutes to soften. Roll it out to about a quarter of an inch, then using a cookie cutter, cut out little gingerbread men and transfer them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake each tray for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before icing.