Blue spirulina powder is not only rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants but it is also what gives this delicious smoothie bowl its captivating, vibrant colour.
This smoothie bowl can be enjoyed as a healthy breakfast, lunch, snack or dessert. It is super easy to make requiring just 7 ingredients!
The difference between a smoothie bowl and a smoothie is the consistency. Smoothie bowls are a lot thicker, with their consistency being similar to that of ice cream, whereas an ordinary smoothie is a lot thinner and usually sipped with a straw. To make the smoothie thicker, I usually throw in half an avocado (or a whole avocado if it is a small one). You will not be able to taste the avocado in the smoothie but, if you don’t have one or simply don’t want to use one, you will need to freeze your fruit before blending to achieve a similar consistency.
Blue Smoothie Bowl
- 1 banana
- 1 kiwi
- 1/2 avocado
- 5 blueberries
- 1/4 cup fruit juice of choice (blueberry/apple/orange/mango/tropical work best)
- 1/4 cup plain soya yoghurt
- 1 tsp blue spirulina powder
For decoration (optional)
- Handful blueberries
- 1/2 kiwi (sliced)
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor an blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour into a serving bowl.
- You can decorate your smoothie, by cutting out stars (or other shapes) out of fruit used in the smoothie using small cookie cutters. I decorated mine with kiwi stars and scattered some extra blueberries on top. Enjoy!