I’m a little late to the cauliflower wing bandwagon, I know. Cauliflower wings have been a thing on the internet for a while, but I only recently gave them a try. On a recent trip to (my now absolute favourite) vegan friendly pub in Worcester, Firefly, I tried their spicy cauliflower vegan wings and totally fell in love. One bite in and I immediately knew I had to recreate them for the blog.
I’m not sure what spices were used in their version, but I used pretty much anything spicy I could find in my cupboard.
This recipe is easy, requiring just 10 ingredients and very simple methods to prepare!
The spicy coating utilises the Encona Limited Edition Carolina Reaper Chilli Sauce (if you want them to be less spicy, use a milder sauce), soy sauce for saltiness and depth of flavour, a few spices and lastly, a drop of maple syrup for a bit of sweetness & balance.
Soft and tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, these spicy cauliflower wings are gluten-free, vegan and literally to die for. If you want to make them a little healthier, you could bake them in the oven for around 25 minutes at 200C they are equally delicious, just less crispy!
- 1 cauliflower
- 3/4 cup soya milk
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 5-6 tbsp hot chilli sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- oil for frying
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the milk, flour, spices and hot chilli sauce in a medium mixing bowl until the batter is thick and is able to coat the cauliflower without dripping. If the mixture is too thick, add a bit more milk or water. If it’s too runny, add a teaspoon of flour at a time until desired consistency.
- For added texture and crispiness, coat the florets in golden breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan. Dip the cauliflower pieces into the batter one by one. Shake off excess batter before placing cauliflower in the pan. Fry until golden brown, flipping the florets over to get all sides golden brown and crispy.