Yet another spruced up version of the Easter classic and what can I say – this flavour combo is AMAZING.
These chocolatey, sticky hot cross buns are studded with a generous amount of chocolate chips and make for the perfect Easter treat.
They are best served warm from the oven or toasted with a knob of butter.
Chocolate Orange Hot Cross Buns
- 140 ml plant milk of choice
- 40 g vegan margarine
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 30 g golden caster sugar
- 250 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp orange essence/oil
- 1 tbsp orange peel
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 40 g plain flour
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 3 tsp marmalade
- Place the milk and butter in a small saucepan and heat gently over low heat until all the butter has melted.
- Take the mixture off the heat. The mixture should be lukewarm. Add the sugar and yeast and stir well to avoid any lumps from forming. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, orange peel, orange oil, salt and spices. Stir, then pour in the milk mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir to form a dough. Knead for around 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly floured bowl and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm spot for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Once doubled in size, take the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knock the air out of the dough and gently knead in the chocolate chips.
- Shape the dough into six buns, then place them onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment and prove once again for around 40 minutes or until well risen.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C | Gas Mark 7.
- In a small mug or bowl, mix the plain flour with water to make a smooth, thick paste. Transfer the mixture into a freezer or a piping bag, snip off the corner and pipe crosses on top of each bun.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for around 20 minutes.
- Brush with marmalade while still warm.
thank you very much