This simple vegan mushroom carbonara recipe is the perfect alternative to the Italian classic. Silky pasta with super creamy, mushroomy sauce.. it is quite possibly the easiest, yet the yummiest pasta dish you’ll ever make!
This vegan carbonara requires very little ingredients and just 30 minutes to make, making this recipe great for those busy weeknights.
The vegan ‘egg’ sauce gets its eggy taste from black salt (also known as kala namak). It is made in the blender and it is a mix of vegan cream cheese, nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic, black salt and plant milk. This is a seriously delicious sauce with lots of flavour!
Easy Vegan Mushroom Carbonara
For the vegan ‘egg’ sauce:
- 80 g vegan cream cheese
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 150 ml plant milk (I used soya)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 150 g mushrooms (I used a mixture of Oyster, Shiitake, Eryngi, Maitake, Shiro Shimeji, Enoki and Buna Shimeji)
- 180 g pasta (I used tagliatelle)
- Add all of the sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Add the vegan butter to a pan and heat until melted. Add the mushrooms (I used whole but you can slice them if you prefer smaller chunks) and vegan ham bits (if using) and fry for 5-7 minutes or until soft.
- Add the cooked pasta into the pan and toss together. Pour the blended sauce over the pasta and stir to combine.
- Once everything is heated, serve with a generous sprinkling of vegan parmesan.