What if I told you, you could make your own homemade oat milk with as little as 2 ingredients? All you need is some rolled oats and water and you’re good to go.
Homemade oat milk is naturally super creamy! It is perfect in coffee, stirred into a hot chocolate or perfect with your morning bowl of cereal. You can, of course, make it as thick or runny as you like – just add more or less water until desired consistency.
This is just a basic oat milk recipe. If you prefer your milk a little sweeter, you can, of course, add some maple syrup or dates to make it sweeter as well as vanilla or caramel extract and a pinch of salt for some extra flavouring. All you have to do is blend the oats with some water (and any additional ingredients if you wish) and strain it through a nut milk bag or fine towel. It’s sooo easy!
This vegan milk alternative is:
- Naturally creamy
- Perfect for smoothies, coffees, granola and baking
- Quick and easy to make
- High in B vitamins, including folate, B1, and B5
- Budget friendly
- Gluten-free (oats are naturally gluten-free, but they can be cross-contaminated with gluten during processing. Make sure you buy oats that say “certified gluten-free” on the package if you are gluten intolerant)
And, if you are a milkshake fan, why not add a handful of frozen berries for a refreshing berry flavoured milk drink, a banana for a sweet, banana flavoured milkshake or 1-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder for creamy, chocolatey goodness.
Oat Milk (Quick & Easy)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3-5 cups water (use less water if you want creamier milk)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 whole pitted date
- 1 tsp vanilla or caramel extract
- Place the oats, water, salt, and any optional ingredients into a blender. Blend for about 30 seconds – 1 minute or until the mixture seems well combined but remember, over-blending can make the oat milk slimy in texture.
- Pour the mixture over a very fine towel or nut milk bag and into a pitcher. In my experience, it benefits from a double strain to catch any stubborn oat bits that refused to blend.
- Transfer into a sealed container and refrigerate.