The obsession with sourdough continues! Allow me to present yet another sourdough recipe of my quarantine baking extravaganza: soft, yeasty, flavoursome sourdough baguettes!
How had I never tried this before?
Let’s get in the kitchen and bake some delicious sourdough baguettes, shall we?
For the levain starter
- 150 g sourdough starter
- 100 g plain flour
- 100 ml lukewarm water
For the dough
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 150 ml lukewarm water
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
To prepare the levain starter
- Combine the ingredients at least 12 hours before you plan to start making the dough. Place in a container with enough space for the starter to double in size. Cover with lid and leave to rest for at least 12 hours, until the starter is full of bubbles and has doubled in size
To make the dough
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the water, levain starter and flour. Stir in the salt and sugar and mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough will be very sticky – leave it for around 20 minutes to allow the flour to absorb the water. This will make it easier to knead.
- Knead the dough for around 10 minutes on a lightly greased surface. The dough will be sticky and you can add more flour if necessary but try not to add too much.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl and place it in a warm spot until doubled in size, for around 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, give the dough a few folds, and divide into 2 pieces. Shape each piece into a long loaf then place on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Cover with a floured tea towel and let them rise once more for 1-2 hours until puffy.
- Preheat the oven to 230C | Gas Mark 8.
- Using a sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes in each loaf.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 22-26 minutes or until golden.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
[…] Sourdough baguettes […]