These vegan breakfast scones are super quick and easy to make using sourdough starter discard as the base batter. You’ll never throw away sourdough starter again once you’ve tried these breakfast scones!
If you make your own sourdough bread at home, you know how painful it is to throw away that hard-earned yeasty goodness every time you have to feed the starter. I can’t help but feel guilty every time I do it!
Adding unfed sourdough starter discard to a recipe doesn’t add any extra leavening because the starter is not really active. I know what you’re thinking. If the starter is not going to add a big rise, why is it even there? Well, the answer is simple. The sourdough starter discard adds an interesting texture and flavour. And it is what makes these breakfast scones so special.
These delicious vegan sourdough breakfast scones are not just for breakfast – they are an amazing afternoon treat, too! You can serve these warm or cold, and they taste great with a generous dollop of jam.
Sourdough Vegan Breakfast Scone
- 180 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup sourdough starter discard
- Preheat the oven to 220C | Gas Mark 7. Line a baking tray with baking parchment and set aside.
- Place the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Work the margarine into the flour mixture until crumbly.
- Add the sourdough starter and mix using a wooden spoon to form a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently pat it until 1 inch thick.
- Using a biscut cutter or a mug, cut out 6 rounds.
- Place onto the prepared baking sheet and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes until golden.
- Best served warm with a generous dollop of jam.