Raise your hand if you like bananas. Raise your hand if you like muffins. And if you didn’t raise your hand.. well then get out of here.
So what started off as a banana bread, ended up as banana muffins. But in the kitchen, nothing ever goes to plan, right?
Now, this is probably one of my favourite recipes ever. Why, I hear you ask. Well, these banana muffins are surprisingly simple to make. They are ridiculously moist, full of banana flavour AND 100% vegan. Say whaaat?!
Overripe bananas (the blacker the bananas, the stronger the banana flavour) are the star ingredient in this banana muffin recipe, with brown sugar and cinnamon playing the key supporting roles. They are healthy(ish) (the main ingredient is banana after all lol), perfect for snacking or for breakfast alongside a warm cup of coffee. In other words, they are exactly what you need this winter. Agreed? Agreed.
If you need gluten-free banana muffins, I’m guessing that a gluten-free plain flour will work well here, but I haven’t tried it. If you try that, please let me know how they turn out!
Let’s do this guys!
Vegan banana muffins
- 3 overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup soya milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, gas mark 4. Line a muffin tin with cupcake papers and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed with 1/3 cup water. Stir and let it stand for around 5 minutes or until thickened.
- In a bowl, mash the bananas using a fork, then add in all the remaining ingredients leaving the flour till last. Once combined, spoon the mixture into the muffin cases – use an ice cream scoop if you have one, to get nice even muffins.
- At this point (this is optional) you can top each muffin with some nuts, chocolate chips or some oats for more flavour.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for around 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted the centre of each muffin comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply