Who said vegan/gluten-free breakfasts had to be boring? Not me! These easy, gluten-free pancakes are delicious and fluffy, with a hint of cinnamon AND they are naturally sweetened with golden syrup instead of sugar. Wehey!
This recipe is a life-saver. Why? Well, it’s vegan, it’s gluten free and it is all kinds of simple, requiring only 9 ingredients and just 15 minutes to prepare.
I’ve been wanting to experiment more with gluten-free recipes since one of my friends went on the gluten-free diet.. and now I am wanting to shy away from it myself. I must admit that these pancakes were kind of an experiment, but they turned out so good I had to post it.
I have one of those super cool moms who would make us pancakes for dinner, like, once a week, EVERY WEEK. We were of course allowed to choose our own toppings, and I’d always go for the strawberry jam or Nutella. Yum! Pancake days were my favourite kind of days. The obsession continues into adulthood.
I’ve been craving pancakes for a good month now. Late one night last week I was scouring Instagram on my phone. Some days I barely screenshot anything at all and others I’m an absolute maniac, screenshotting nearly everything I see. I was looking for some pancake topping inspo when I came across a recipe for fluffy american-style pancakes. They looked lush but (yes there’s a but), they were neither vegan nor gluten-free. And I’ve been itching to veganise it ever since. It turned out to be pretty good!
Oh, before we get started..can I just add that these will definitely be my new ‘go-to’ pancakes. I always have the ingredients on hand and they’re perfect even for those busy weekday mornings 😉 Enjoy!
Gluten-free pancakes (vegan)
- 1 cup gluten free plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 1 cup soya milk
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt then add the ground flax, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla extract, golden syrup, applesauce and soya milk. Once combined, mix with the dry ingredients until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Pour some of the batter into the pan and cook for around 2 minutes, or until it starts to look golden and firm then flip. Serve immediately with a drizzle of golden syrup, or even with some melted chocolate and blueberries!