Last night I found myself talking to one of my old school friends discussing my vegan concoctions. It was past midnight when I said to him that I am contemplating making banana bread to which he replied, I should make brownies instead. *lightbulb moment* Straight away I thought to myself – what if I combine chocolate and banana bread together? I’m a GENIUS. Or so I thought.. It turns out that chocolate swirl banana bread is actually a thing, I’m just late to the party.
If you love bananas and you love chocolate, you will absolutely LOVE this vegan marbled banana bread. It is PERFECT with a little peanut butter and a cup of tea or coffee.
As always, if you try this recipe, let me know by leaving a comment and tagging #letseatsmart on Instagram.
Vegan marbled banana bread
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup soya milk
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 175C | Gas mark 3.
- Line a loaf pan with baking parchment and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas using a fork. Add the light brown sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and soya milk then stir to combine.
- Sift in the plain flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix to incorporate.
- Transfer half of the batter into a bowl. Add the cocoa powder and mix to combine and until smooth.
- Spoon both mixtures alternating as you go into the prepared loaf cake tin.
- Drag a knife through the mixture a few times to marble the cake.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.