Salty, smokey, crispy. This vegan bacon alternative is super delicious and takes less than 15 minutes to make.
Vegan bacon… vacon? Or facon? Whatever you want to call it… this is my recipe for vegan bacon that tastes remarkably like the real thing!
The key to this recipe is to use smoked tofu. This is what gives our ‘bacon’ its meaty flavour. Alternatively, if you are using unflavoured tofu, you can add a tablespoon of liquid smoke. It is also important to use extra firm tofu. Ordinary firm tofu is likely to fall apart when you try to slice it.
This vegan bacon alternative is perfect served alongside scrambled tofu and beans or in a classic BLT.
- 225 g smoked extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce* *check that sauce is vegan as some contain Anchovies
- Preheat the oven to 200C | Gas Mark 6. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Drain the tofu and set aside. If the tofu is quite wet, gently dry it using a paper towel to absorb any moisture.
- Place the remaining ingredients into a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Cut the tofu into thin strips then dip each slice into the marinade.
- Place on the prepared baking rack. Bake in the middle of the oven for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot or cold. Enjoy!